('A.H' DENOTES A BLOG WRITTEN BY AL HANKINSON AND 'L.H' BY LUCY HOLLIS)

Saturday 24 November 2012

Week 4 of Sleeping Beauty Rehearsals

L.H

This week started with a massive smack into a horribly familiar brick wall: don't know what I'm doing, where I'm standing, where I'm going, who I'm talking to, who I AM or what play I am in. I was hoping that this wall that I usually meet in week 4 was just an insecure drama student thing, but apparently it happens in the professional world too. I look around and everyone else seems to be on the right track. Full of confidence and flare. Suddenly my character seems completely unattainable and one (utterly helpful and completely justified) comment from the Dom about being careful not to play Beauty too young makes me want to run far far away.

SO (after a bit of self hatred fueled rocking in the corner) I get back to work and start from the beginning again. Luckily I had some time to myself during rehearsals today (SLEEPING Beauty) to stop wallowing and to just get on with trying to hammer through that wall. After a nightly phone call to my good friend Sam (half friend, half life coach) and a watch of the Disney film 'Tangled' for research (surprisingly, ridiculously helpful. A young feisty princess locked in a tower her whole life... duh, that's how to play it!!) and I start to feel like I might be on the right track. Wednesday begins with a run of act one and things finally start to fall into place. For now. To be honest, what I was doing before probably wasn't much different but at least I feel like I know who I am again again. I wonder if anyone noticed...

Two members of the cast have been hit with illness this week and the whole room has gone into ultra paranoid panic mode. Dominic brought in 3 bags of oranges so we can stock up on our vitamin C, I ran out to the shops to buy Berocca, Echinacea, some sort of horrific anaseedey cough syrup and made a firm decision to swear off alcohol. I have only ever done a week long run before now so I just don't know my limits. It's a pretty full on show vocally and physically (I AM ONLY ASLEEP FOR 20 PAGES ALRIGHT!!) so I guess this is me until January. Currently sitting in at 10 o clock on a Saturday night blogging...

 ‘Sleeping Beauty’ is on at the Citizens Theatre, Glasgow, from 1 Dec to 6 Jan. For all tickets please contact the box office on: 0141 429 0022, or book online at www.citz.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment