('A.H' DENOTES A BLOG WRITTEN BY AL HANKINSON AND 'L.H' BY LUCY HOLLIS)

Sunday 11 November 2012

Week 3 of Sleeping Beauty Rehearsals

L.H

About to begin week 3 of rehearsals for Sleeping Beauty and I THINK I have all my lines learnt. It helps a lot that I am in fact asleep for a fair chunk of the beginning. Definitely got that bit down.

Al and I had an article in the Herald today which was very exciting. I think we were rather cleverly fooled by our photographer (who was lovely and who, it turned out, went to the same primary school as me and had bought a cat from my family back in the 60s!) when we were posing among the costumes in the wardrobe department: 'Oh we won't be using these photos, these are just for fun, but lets just give it a go anyway!". So a bit dissapointed that Glasgow didn't get to see our casual brooding actor poses. Definitely been practicing...Probably for the best in fact. We are both very pleased to be in the Herald and interviewed by Mark Brown. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents/stage/youth-and-beauty.19376356

As I was saying, lines are now learnt and scripts are coming down. This is the bit that gets messy. No more hiding behind the book, hands are free to look awkward and useless and most of your attention goes to searching for words. This being my first professional play since leaving the RCS, I wasn't sure of the official line learning etiquette. When is the right time? Too soon seems cocky, too late seems lazy. What do I do!? Thankfully I am in a room of highly experienced actors, including Kathryn Howden and Mark McDonnell in which to follow suit. They are both great. Kathryn and Dominic clearly have a fantastic working relationship. The perfect balance of work and play. Everything is taken seriously but never without fun. She is very relaxed in the room which I think has a hugely positive effect on everyone and her openness is really inspiring. Mark is going to be great as the King and Ogress. Very dry humour, which works perfectly. Another actor who isn't afraid, always suggesting and helping and a great laugh. Being one of the most established actors in Scottish theatre and a regular on the Citz stage this past year, we thought it would be a good idea to start off our monthly interviews with Kathryn Howden. So look out...

‘Sleeping Beauty’ is on at the Citizens Theatre, Glasgow, from the 1 December to the 6 January. For tickets, please call the box office on: 0141 429 0022; or book online at www.citz.co.uk.




No comments:

Post a Comment